When Baptist Memorial Health Care was first founded on July 22, 1912, it was a 150-bed hospital built at a cost of $235,000. Not long after, Baptist began its growing list of accomplishments and accolades, including being home to the first physicians in the Mid-South to specialize in orthopedics, in 1916. As years went on, more wings were added to the small hospital, gradually increasing bed size and making Baptist the largest privately-owned hospital in the Mid-South. By 1937, Baptist’s bed capacity had increased to 500.
Baptist’s history has not only helped to shape its approach to patient care, but also its approach to their own physicians and staff. For example in 1958, the Baptist Medical Building, a 10-story office building for doctors, opened at the corner of Dudley and Monroe streets in downtown Memphis. Many improvements like this would follow, and in 1981, Baptist Memorial Health Care System Inc., a multi-hospital system with Baptist Memorial Hospital-Medical Center as the flagship institution, was established. The Baptist Memorial Health Care Foundation, which is the fundraising arm of Baptist Memorial Health Care, was established two years later.
In its over 100-year history, Baptist Memorial Health Care has transformed from a 150-bed hospital to one of the nation’s premiere health care systems. With 15 affiliate hospitals under the Baptist umbrella, we strive to incorporate convenience with the same caring atmosphere that initially inspired our founders. Baptist is committed to providing high-quality health care while maintaining the three-fold ministry of Christ – Healing, Preaching, and Teaching.
Learn about the Family Medicine residency program faculty that defines Baptist Memorial Health Care.